Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SpecialK

Thread: Clifford The Big Red Dog' Creator Bridwell Dies At 86

SpecialK is offline Living my life... finally
    Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    For cerebration-sharing :) and providing a wonderfully renewed perspective! - LeananSidhe To start our lunch . . . I'll bring it to you! - LeananSidhe Every day, and in every way. Thank you. - LeananSidhe Merry Christmas - Georgiagirl Merry Christmas to you - Sthomp27 
    Happy new year - Sthomp27 Happy New Year - Georgiagirl Happy New Year - Candi For being a good friend. - BeyondExcess hoping things happen sooner than later for you :) - Tgirl 
    It's Saturday! Here's a burger! - BeyondExcess Drink is on me! - Mainahboy Bacon topped too! Happppy Birthday! - LeananSidhe Merry Christmas! - Layla You are such a positive presence on the site. Your my hero! - debbee 
    Merry Christmas to you too my friend! - Layla Merry Christmas my sweet friend! - Candi 

Clifford The Big Red Dog' Creator Bridwell Dies At 86

Clifford The Big Red Dog' Creator Bridwell Dies At 86
    DECEMBER 16, 2014 8:28 PM ET
    BILL CHAPPELL

Author Norman Bridwell and his wife, Norma, pose for a portrait in 2011. The creator of the Clifford the Big Red Dog stories died Friday at age 86.
    Charles Sykes/AP

More than 50 years after he came up with a story about Clifford the Big Red Dog, artist and author Norman Bridwell has died. In 2012, Bridwell told NPR he had been shocked when his idea was accepted for publication.

A native of Indiana, Bridwell was 86. He died Friday on the Massachusetts island of Martha's Vineyard, where he had long lived with his wife, Norma.

No cause of death has yet been released, but the AP reports that the author had been in the hospital since falling down at home several weeks ago. He had also suffered from prostate cancer, his wife tells the news agency.

"He passed peacefully with family members at his bedside," the AP reports, citing Norma Bridwell.

It was Norma Bridwell who told the budding children's book author that his idea to call a huge bloodhound "Tiny" was "stupid," as he recalled when he and his wife spoke with NPR's Scott Simon. Instead, they decided the dog should be named Clifford, after an imaginary friend Norma Bridwell had when she was little.

The name of Clifford's best friend, Emily Elizabeth, came from the couple's own daughter, whom they raised on Martha's Vineyard along with their son, Timothy.

Before the Clifford franchise could get started, Bridwell, who was trying to change careers after being an artist in New York City, endured the rejection of nine different publishers. Finally, Scholastic accepted the manuscript that he'd written over a weekend.

The original, 1963 cover of Clifford the Big Red Dog. "[I] was shocked when it was accepted for publication, because I'd never written anything before," said Norman Bridwell.

Bridwell told Simon that he "was shocked when it was accepted for publication, because I'd never written anything before."

When Norma Bridwell suggested he follow up by writing another story about Clifford and Emily Elizabeth — and maybe even two or three — the author answered, "Oh, no. This is just a fluke."

The gigantic dog went on to anchor a series of books that has spread into TV and beyond. More than 129 million copies of his Clifford books have sold since then, and an animated series based on the books is aired in 65 countries.

"Norman Bridwell's books about Clifford, childhood's most lovable dog, could only have been written by a gentle man with a great sense of humor," Scholastic President and CEO **** Robinson said. "Norman personified the values that we as parents and educators hope to communicate to our children – kindness, compassion, helpfulness, gratitude."

As the AP notes, "Clifford became standard nighttime reading for countless families and a money machine for publisher Scholastic Inc. Spinoffs include cartoons with John Ritter as the voice of Clifford and future Hunger Games novelist Suzanne Collins among the scriptwriters."

KayOss is offline Flirty Friend Expert
    Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Thank you for the chat x - Elvensong Welcome back x - Elvensong Wishing all the best with your d's and g babies *hugs* - Elvensong Some drink to help you sleep for more than 5 hours, and with sweet dreams too x - Elvensong Sending you loads of love and respect for all you do xxx - Elvensong 
    Be safe on your trip ... and have fun ! x - Elvensong Merry Christmas and happy new year - Sthomp27 Merry Christmas!! - SpecialK A lite beer to relax and think of the Love Shack :-) - Elvensong It's a bottle of Edradour Malt really, the most soothing of pure malts I would know x - Elvensong 
    For being such a good girl :-) - Elvensong Merry Christmas!!! - SpecialK Get really well again soon x - Elvensong Welcome back home xxx - Elvensong For my dear friend to cheer her up and remind her of the big heart she has x - Elvensong 
    Merry Christmas, my friend! - SpecialK 
    Great author
    “Everyone thinks of changing the world, no one thinks of changing himself.” –
    Leo Tolstoy

LeananSidhe is offline Like a fine Skylark.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,941 Times in 1,807 Posts
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    a head start and enjoy my friend. - Tgirl Glad you are feeling better! - Candi Happy 4th of July - Georgiagirl For someone's birthday... it's ice chocolate cream cake - SpecialK Hope you have a wonderful rest of the week! - Candi 
    For that midweek slump! - BeyondExcess Just so because posting with you is so much fun - Elvensong Some dessert as you are so sweet and caring :-) - Elvensong For going above and beyond the call of duty in helping me settle in at FNF. - guynextdoor Merry Christmas!!! - SpecialK 
    Happy Holidays, Beautiful.. - SpecialK ...just 'cause.. - SpecialK For all you do to help keep the site open. - SpecialK Lets do the Friday dance! - Candi Spreading the luck for today! - BeyondExcess 
    For always being my friend. - BeyondExcess Thank you for all you do here! - Candi i miss our coffee time - musicmer Merry Christmas, my friend! - SpecialK Merry Christmas! - Candi 
    RIP. Still read Clifford stories to my young library patrons.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~Dr. Seuss

SpecialK is offline Living my life... finally
    Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    For cerebration-sharing :) and providing a wonderfully renewed perspective! - LeananSidhe To start our lunch . . . I'll bring it to you! - LeananSidhe Every day, and in every way. Thank you. - LeananSidhe Merry Christmas - Georgiagirl Merry Christmas to you - Sthomp27 
    Happy new year - Sthomp27 Happy New Year - Georgiagirl Happy New Year - Candi For being a good friend. - BeyondExcess hoping things happen sooner than later for you :) - Tgirl 
    It's Saturday! Here's a burger! - BeyondExcess Drink is on me! - Mainahboy Bacon topped too! Happppy Birthday! - LeananSidhe Merry Christmas! - Layla You are such a positive presence on the site. Your my hero! - debbee 
    Merry Christmas to you too my friend! - Layla Merry Christmas my sweet friend! - Candi 
    I just saw this... and it made me sad...

KayOss likes this.

Erdr1ck is offline Just an average guy.
    Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    It's Cherry flavor! - BeyondExcess Merry Christmas!!! - SpecialK My hoo hoo in a box - debbee 
    My son loves Clifford!
    I'm an ass man!