Forums

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Do you create a fake life online to break free of your life or are you really who you portray to be online?

Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    It's not a fake life online, but one that doesn't reveal personal information. At least that's my case. In joining discussion forums, I don't use my real name (obviously the case here...it's the title of a Nick Drake album) or my real picture (I'm not really Aaron Rodgers in a throwback Packers uniform). People understand that, generally, no one uses their real names or photos on a message board. While registration is required, this is still a pretty public place since registration isn't really restricted--other sites might be invitation-only, for example, or require administrator approval before an account is active. I don't take withholding personal information to be deceptive but rather, understandably, keeping your guard up because we are all pretty much strangers until people get to know each other better.

Using real names and photos via IM or e-mail comes later and there, at least, it seems that if your sole motive is to make friends then there really isn't much to be gained by lying. That's how I behave, anyway.
    KayOss likes this.

Sensual Woman is offline Goodbye
    Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    welcome - partyde I'm glad you found us hun..I lost track of everyone on the Shack..sorry - Georgiagirl ty for the rep.....i am excited because it is almost christmas - musicmer Happy New Year! - kjoverunder a beautiful rose for a beautiful lady! - kjoverunder 
    Half for you and half for me. - TwinkleToez for the great teacher you are...HUGS - HisPrincess The Coffee Talk thread always makes me want to share a mug! - LeananSidhe anything you want sweetie - HisPrincess To wish you luck in all the tests you have had to endure lately - doncpa 
    yall need some after your test :D - Tgirl Because you're a sweetheart - Georgiagirl on me sweetie. :) - Tgirl we need the bottle - Tgirl Please feel better.  Hugs. - TwinkleToez 
    Merry Christmas!! - SpecialK Merry Christmas - Georgiagirl Happy New Year Darlin - Georgiagirl Happy New Year - Candi Hope you are staying warm in the cold weather - Georgiagirl 
    Autism - Sensual Woman 
    nope...nothing fake about me on or offline. That does not mean, however, that I reveal everything about myself.

Mason is offline Flirty Friend
    Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Yeah, I'm really the guy in the picture. Back ladies, way back now.
    Serenity likes this.

KayOss is offline Flirty Friend Expert
    Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Thank you for the chat x - Elvensong Welcome back x - Elvensong Wishing all the best with your d's and g babies *hugs* - Elvensong Some drink to help you sleep for more than 5 hours, and with sweet dreams too x - Elvensong Sending you loads of love and respect for all you do xxx - Elvensong 
    Be safe on your trip ... and have fun ! x - Elvensong Merry Christmas and happy new year - Sthomp27 Merry Christmas!! - SpecialK A lite beer to relax and think of the Love Shack :-) - Elvensong It's a bottle of Edradour Malt really, the most soothing of pure malts I would know x - Elvensong 
    For being such a good girl :-) - Elvensong Merry Christmas!!! - SpecialK Get really well again soon x - Elvensong Welcome back home xxx - Elvensong For my dear friend to cheer her up and remind her of the big heart she has x - Elvensong 
    Merry Christmas, my friend! - SpecialK 
    nope, I am who I am....but I don't share personal info very often
    “Everyone thinks of changing the world, no one thinks of changing himself.” –
    Leo Tolstoy

SpecialK is offline Living my life... finally
    Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    For cerebration-sharing :) and providing a wonderfully renewed perspective! - LeananSidhe To start our lunch . . . I'll bring it to you! - LeananSidhe Every day, and in every way. Thank you. - LeananSidhe Merry Christmas - Georgiagirl Merry Christmas to you - Sthomp27 
    Happy new year - Sthomp27 Happy New Year - Georgiagirl Happy New Year - Candi For being a good friend. - BeyondExcess hoping things happen sooner than later for you :) - Tgirl 
    It's Saturday! Here's a burger! - BeyondExcess Drink is on me! - Mainahboy Bacon topped too! Happppy Birthday! - LeananSidhe Merry Christmas! - Layla You are such a positive presence on the site. Your my hero! - debbee 
    Merry Christmas to you too my friend! - Layla Merry Christmas my sweet friend! - Candi 
    The only time I retreat into a fake life online is when I play one of my World of Warcraft characters..

KayOss is offline Flirty Friend Expert
    Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Thank you for the chat x - Elvensong Welcome back x - Elvensong Wishing all the best with your d's and g babies *hugs* - Elvensong Some drink to help you sleep for more than 5 hours, and with sweet dreams too x - Elvensong Sending you loads of love and respect for all you do xxx - Elvensong 
    Be safe on your trip ... and have fun ! x - Elvensong Merry Christmas and happy new year - Sthomp27 Merry Christmas!! - SpecialK A lite beer to relax and think of the Love Shack :-) - Elvensong It's a bottle of Edradour Malt really, the most soothing of pure malts I would know x - Elvensong 
    For being such a good girl :-) - Elvensong Merry Christmas!!! - SpecialK Get really well again soon x - Elvensong Welcome back home xxx - Elvensong For my dear friend to cheer her up and remind her of the big heart she has x - Elvensong 
    Merry Christmas, my friend! - SpecialK 
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
    The only time I retreat into a fake life online is when I play one of my World of Warcraft characters..
    what is that ?
    “Everyone thinks of changing the world, no one thinks of changing himself.” –
    Leo Tolstoy

SpecialK is offline Living my life... finally
    Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    For cerebration-sharing :) and providing a wonderfully renewed perspective! - LeananSidhe To start our lunch . . . I'll bring it to you! - LeananSidhe Every day, and in every way. Thank you. - LeananSidhe Merry Christmas - Georgiagirl Merry Christmas to you - Sthomp27 
    Happy new year - Sthomp27 Happy New Year - Georgiagirl Happy New Year - Candi For being a good friend. - BeyondExcess hoping things happen sooner than later for you :) - Tgirl 
    It's Saturday! Here's a burger! - BeyondExcess Drink is on me! - Mainahboy Bacon topped too! Happppy Birthday! - LeananSidhe Merry Christmas! - Layla You are such a positive presence on the site. Your my hero! - debbee 
    Merry Christmas to you too my friend! - Layla Merry Christmas my sweet friend! - Candi 
    Quote Originally Posted by KayOss View Post
    what is that ?

ummm..... MMORPG... over 40 million players... keeps my mind occupied..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

BeyondExcess is offline ♡ There is still so much more to see.
    Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Merry Christmas!!! - SpecialK For all you do to help keep the site open. - SpecialK To stick into your headdress :-) - Elvensong A medal for helping me so much. - theirishman Here you go - theirishman 
    Because you love it :-) - Elvensong To calm your mind ;-) - Elvensong To don some war paint if worj today should lead to some hand-to-hand combat ;-) - Elvensong With bacon, as ordered :-) - Elvensong Baked to perfection - Elvensong 
    For perfectly timed kindness - Chuckee Cheers to a day with no bothers ! - Elvensong For you to not fall asleep ;-) - Elvensong Lots of luck today x - Elvensong To calm your heart should it flutter again ... - Elvensong 
    Because you're our Easter Egg ;-) ! - Elvensong For bravery in the face of not perfect events - Chuckee Been missing you! - Candi Merry Christmas, my friend! - SpecialK Merry Christmas! - Candi 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BeyondExcess 
    I am certainly not my avatar. Who would have such a ridiculously large heart pillow on their bed. Unless it is a sex thing but that is a post for another thread.

Yes, this is me, typing, thinking and responding to the best of my abilities. I am this witty, sarcastic, naughty and fantastic in real life as well. Does this online arena offer me more chances to voice what I am thinking and feeling? Abso - f*ck!ng - lutely!! And why not! Do I follow the rules and guidelines so as not to ruin others fun? Yes, because that is me too. Do I have an absolutely awful temper? Yes, but why unleash it on people that just came around to have a good time.

So the answer is a resounding no, no fake online life for me. The next av most likely won't be me either. Have to keep some mystery to it all!
    Chuck4794 and doncpa like this.

LeananSidhe is offline Like a fine Skylark.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,941 Times in 1,807 Posts
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    a head start and enjoy my friend. - Tgirl Glad you are feeling better! - Candi Happy 4th of July - Georgiagirl For someone's birthday... it's ice chocolate cream cake - SpecialK Hope you have a wonderful rest of the week! - Candi 
    For that midweek slump! - BeyondExcess Just so because posting with you is so much fun - Elvensong Some dessert as you are so sweet and caring :-) - Elvensong For going above and beyond the call of duty in helping me settle in at FNF. - guynextdoor Merry Christmas!!! - SpecialK 
    Happy Holidays, Beautiful.. - SpecialK ...just 'cause.. - SpecialK For all you do to help keep the site open. - SpecialK Lets do the Friday dance! - Candi Spreading the luck for today! - BeyondExcess 
    For always being my friend. - BeyondExcess Thank you for all you do here! - Candi i miss our coffee time - musicmer Merry Christmas, my friend! - SpecialK Merry Christmas! - Candi 
    Fake, to me ... when there is a world of reality sitting in my lap and within my day-to-day structure ... for what purpose?

At 43, if I have to be fake, then I've doomed myself and my children by teaching them facades are better, a life of plastic and unattainable is healthy, and that sort of lesson isn't one I'd ever pass along.

Escapism is one thing ... even in a capacity of quiet and let down time, the harm enters when betray what's at your core to impress, deceive, wool-pull. Unless your core is furkied up anyway, why fake it.

Life is short. What the next bend holds is unknowable, and when you step foot into that whole miasma of screw with people's heads, you've lost and are irreparably lost anyway.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~Dr. Seuss

Mason is offline Flirty Friend
    Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I was being sarcastically funny. I hope you didn't think that I meant because fake avatars, people here are fake. Everyone seems very real. There is no way, I would put my real picture as my avatar but I am real. My feelings are real but like most people here, I want to be sexy.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeyondExcess View Post
    I am certainly not my avatar. Who would have such a ridiculously large heart pillow on their bed. Unless it is a sex thing but that is a post for another thread.Yes, this is me, typing, thinking and responding to the best of my abilities. I am this witty, sarcastic, naughty and fantastic in real life as well. Does this online arena offer me more chances to voice what I am thinking and feeling? Abso - f*ck!ng - lutely!! And why not! Do I follow the rules and guidelines so as not to ruin others fun? Yes, because that is me too. Do I have an absolutely awful temper? Yes, but why unleash it on people that just came around to have a good time.So the answer is a resounding no, no fake online life for me. The next av most likely won't be me either. Have to keep some mystery to it all!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast