Forums

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Would a ban on guns help crime in the US?

Georgiagirl is offline Beach Control
    Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Thanks for everything. - BeyondExcess Drinking buddy.... Absolutely!!!! - Candi Hugs!! - Candi Hope you're having a great Valentine's Day - jbincali House warming party!!  WooHoo!! - Caveman 
    For all the new adventures you have. - BeyondExcess Hope things are getting better for you! - Candi We missed you, and we're all thrilled you're here! - LeananSidhe have a good one - partyde For the drink we didn't have on your birthday! - Candi 
    Hope you get to feeling better! - Lucky Because you are such a special woman and mother x - Elvensong For being beautiful and a great friend x - Elvensong Merry Christmas!!! - SpecialK Merry Christmas!!! - SpecialK 
    For all you do to help keep the site open. - SpecialK Because you would let me use the pool :-) - Elvensong Keep cool crazy girl xxx - Elvensong Miss you girlie....hope things are good - musicmer Merry Christmas, my friend! - SpecialK 

Would a ban on guns help crime in the US?

I debated with myself about putting this topic up for debate. It seems to cause controversy with many but we're all adults here and I thought, we could debate this topic openly.

Thoughts?
    Just Peachy and you?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Firecat is offline Flirty Friend
    Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    An afternoon snack... good to see you - Georgiagirl ENJOY!! - strawberrywine 
    I don't own a gun, never have...the biggest reason is because I don't wanna kill anyone. However, the Constitution was written in such a way to protect the people FROM the Government and I have the feeling that our founding Fathers had foresight of some of the power hungry individuals that we currently see in office. I believe that those who hunt and have taken the safety courses to do so should not be hindered in carrying hunting rifles or hand guns (snakes are nasty little critters), but I don't really see a need for semi-automatic weapons, unless you are part of a security force such as the National Gaurd or a volunteer cop. I debated on purchasing a gun in the midst of all the debacle last year, but my desire to remain "innocent" of pulling the trigger on a whim held me back, but in the future, who knows...

Caveman is offline Making my world Brighter!
    Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Stop working so much and grab a beer - Georgiagirl Since I wasn't able to buy one for you in April; for your Thursday morning! - LeananSidhe Happy Father's Day - Georgiagirl Happy Father's Day - Georgiagirl Because you have a super big heart and I miss you around here - Georgiagirl 
    to keep the rain away today - Georgiagirl Merry Christmas - Georgiagirl Merry Christmas!! - SpecialK Happy Birthday Sweetie, I hope you have an awesome day! - Georgiagirl happy birthday - partyde 
    Happy New Year Darlin - Georgiagirl an afternoon snack and putting up with me...lol - Georgiagirl Thank you! - Georgiagirl Hope you are having a great weekend. - Georgiagirl Because you have the most caring heart that I've ever known. - Georgiagirl 
    Until we can test the sweetness of other things. - BeyondExcess Nice to see you the other day. - BeyondExcess Merry Christmas!!! - SpecialK For all you do to help keep the site open. - SpecialK Merry Christmas my friend! - Candi 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Caveman 
    The old saying is very true ....

If you outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have guns.

I also agree with what Firecat said. The constitution was specifically written to protect our right to bear arms. If the colonist's had not owned them, then there would be no United States. And private ownership of them can still do, as Firecat pointed out, hold the government accountable. I see a need for them in the coming years. And let's face it, what is a rifle going to do against a tank? But, the military IS made up of citizens ... and thankfully, have not been brain washed into total obedience (as in some other armies).
    Georgiagirl likes this.
    Yesterday is but a dream, tomorrow only a vision. Today, well lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness, and every tomorrow a vision of hope.

Tgirl is offline Flirts N Friends
    Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    almost forgot the donuts! :) - doncpa figured I would send something different this time..give this a lick ;) - doncpa they didn't have soup here - but you probably like this better anyways - doncpa so I read quotes from the book while you sit on my lap.  ;) - doncpa Happy Easter! - doncpa 
    Good Morning! :) - doncpa Enjoy your trip! - doncpa Cause I'm hungry for pretzels..lol - doncpa Headache, go away!!! - Lucky Just cause! - Lucky 
    :) - johnstubbleton does this help? - doncpa Because you need to stay caffeinated... - doncpa Good Morning - cypher This will cool down the heat. - TwinkleToez 
    Some coffee for you - Enjoy! - doncpa Good Morning! - doncpa Good morning sweetie! - doncpa I know you don't come here much - but hi anyway! - doncpa Because I miss her... - Erdr1ck 
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Tgirl 
    Ok, I swore I wouldn't come here, join this site and post controversial stuff. LOL But here goes. First I've been here only a couple of days and think it's great so far. why? cause everyone seems to be nice and not backstabbing each other. That being said, I'll put my two cents here.....
    I own a gun. I carry a 380 s&w. I know..sexy right? But I carry to protect me and my children. I don't carry cause I think everyone is crazy and I'm looking over my shoulder. I carry cause of the crazy world we live in and the area we live in. I have no problem "killing" someone that is coming after me or my children. We have had random break ins with fatal outcomes. You don't call the police for help, you call for cleanup. IMO it depends on where you live and what you're dealing with. I also believe the government has failed up on so many levels in this area.

HomerJ is offline I'm Batman
    Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Just a gift to thank you for posting here - Georgiagirl I love you sweet man - HisPrincess thanks for sharing, i want to melt your popsicle - HisPrincess toast to us...kiss - HisPrincess I am learning how to use this gift thingy - bear with me! lol! - doncpa 
    Have a beer dude! thanks for being a friend! - doncpa use your powers on me baby - HisPrincess I love you - HisPrincess Have a beer on me dude! - doncpa Have a beer dude!  it's been a long day - doncpa 
    I just love you to pieces - HisPrincess have some pizza, dude! - doncpa I'm so lucky to call you mine sweet prince - HisPrincess Next round on me - Elvensong collect beer from TwoShades.. lolol - HerPrince 
    to answer questions like this, you have to look at similar situations and bans. For example:

-Is marijuana use significantly lower due to it being illegal, I would say no. Lower yes, but not lower enough to really make a statistical difference.
    -Do drinking and driving laws prevent associated accidents and death/injury? Not completely, but do decrease it. People still drink and drive because the premise is based on someone being coherent enough to stop drinking.
    -Does dress codes for school students help reduce violence due to clothing choices? Maybe, but that violence still occurs for other reasons.

Here is what you need to consider IMO. People are human. They want what they want, even if you tell them they can't have it. This includes guns. By creating very harsh bans on weapons, you are going to push that business to the black market. And when you introduce that to the black market, you generate a whole nother level of crime. Now not only do you have to consider the person buying the gun, but the people selling it. And black marketeers will do ANYTHING to keep that cash rolling. So, be careful what you wish for.

Like most things, its all about moderation and responsibility. Waiting periods, background checks, etc. are appropriate. Noone should need serious firepower in that instant. They run credit reports to make sure there isn't a financial risk when you borrow money, take out loans, etc. Why would you not want to evaluate the risk associated with giving someone a weapon that could do damage to many people. I also don't think there is any reason for someone to have an arsenal that matches many third-world countries. If you collect them, fine, understandable. But those are not the people we are talking about.

I dunno, I never owned a gun, but dont judge people for doing what they need to do to protect themselves. I've never lived in an area that I had to worry about that. About a year ago, we had a run of break-ins in my area and ya know, the thought of having some protection came out, not gonna lie.

TwoShades is offline Phenominal Flirty Friend
    Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    sharing my lottery winnings - partyde For being a real treasure of a friend! - ScoobyDoo Very sweet of you to think of me (((hugs))) - strawberrywine For reminding me that spring is just around the corner - Georgiagirl Have a beer while wating in the closet.  LOL - Georgiagirl 
    share with your daughter...:) - HisPrincess Cheers.. to a new member of the wolfpack - HerPrince hope the weekend wasn't too rough.. - HerPrince Sending you something sweet - ScoobyDoo Happy Father's Day - Georgiagirl 
    yay for new outlooks. I'm thankful for you - Tgirl 
    I agree with the posters above. I grew up on a farm, with guns, and understand about firearm safety. I understand about the constitution guaranteeing the right to bear arms. And I agree with it. Mostly. But there are two things that I question now: 1. It was written at a time when she soldiers carried guns and bayonnets. So, if a citizen carried those things also, it was equal ground. Now, I don't think guns and bayonnets stand much of a chance against the arsenal that the military is packing. 2. "bear arms" Its does not say handguns, which I think we all agree are the real problem in this country. I respect and admire those who wish to have guns to protect their family, and I may again at some point, but I am starting to believe that in the 'handgun" debate, the bad effects now outnumber the good. Thats my two cents.
    "Let us not wallow in the Valley of Despair"

~ Martin Luther King, Jr. ~

Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    almost forgot the donuts! :) - doncpa figured I would send something different this time..give this a lick ;) - doncpa they didn't have soup here - but you probably like this better anyways - doncpa so I read quotes from the book while you sit on my lap.  ;) - doncpa Happy Easter! - doncpa 
    Good Morning! :) - doncpa Enjoy your trip! - doncpa Cause I'm hungry for pretzels..lol - doncpa Headache, go away!!! - Lucky Just cause! - Lucky 
    :) - johnstubbleton does this help? - doncpa Because you need to stay caffeinated... - doncpa Good Morning - cypher This will cool down the heat. - TwinkleToez 
    Some coffee for you - Enjoy! - doncpa Good Morning! - doncpa Good morning sweetie! - doncpa I know you don't come here much - but hi anyway! - doncpa Because I miss her... - Erdr1ck 
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Tgirl 
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoShades View Post
    I agree with the posters above. I grew up on a farm, with guns, and understand about firearm safety. I understand about the constitution guaranteeing the right to bear arms. And I agree with it. Mostly. But there are two things that I question now: 1. It was written at a time when she soldiers carried guns and bayonnets. So, if a citizen carried those things also, it was equal ground. Now, I don't think guns and bayonnets stand much of a chance against the arsenal that the military is packing. 2. "bear arms" Its does not say handguns, which I think we all agree are the real problem in this country. I respect and admire those who wish to have guns to protect their family, and I may again at some point, but I am starting to believe that in the 'handgun" debate, the bad effects now outnumber the good. Thats my two cents.
    Although I think we agree....I'm not gonna carry a knife to a gun fight. If I trusted that we were all on the same playing field, I would be willing to play nice in the sand box...what I feel is unfair, is feeling like I'm on the defensive all the time as far as protection. I'm being made to feel I "have" to protect myself. Very sad.

TwoShades is offline Phenominal Flirty Friend
    Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    sharing my lottery winnings - partyde For being a real treasure of a friend! - ScoobyDoo Very sweet of you to think of me (((hugs))) - strawberrywine For reminding me that spring is just around the corner - Georgiagirl Have a beer while wating in the closet.  LOL - Georgiagirl 
    share with your daughter...:) - HisPrincess Cheers.. to a new member of the wolfpack - HerPrince hope the weekend wasn't too rough.. - HerPrince Sending you something sweet - ScoobyDoo Happy Father's Day - Georgiagirl 
    yay for new outlooks. I'm thankful for you - Tgirl 
    I think we do agree. If there was a way to ban handguns altogether... and that means all blackmarket guns too... I think the country would be a lot safer. Thats never going to happen. You have the right to protect yourself. And the bad guys all have handguns. So you should too. It is very sad. I don't have the answers, only questions.
    "Let us not wallow in the Valley of Despair"

~ Martin Luther King, Jr. ~

HomerJ is offline I'm Batman
    Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Just a gift to thank you for posting here - Georgiagirl I love you sweet man - HisPrincess thanks for sharing, i want to melt your popsicle - HisPrincess toast to us...kiss - HisPrincess I am learning how to use this gift thingy - bear with me! lol! - doncpa 
    Have a beer dude! thanks for being a friend! - doncpa use your powers on me baby - HisPrincess I love you - HisPrincess Have a beer on me dude! - doncpa Have a beer dude!  it's been a long day - doncpa 
    I just love you to pieces - HisPrincess have some pizza, dude! - doncpa I'm so lucky to call you mine sweet prince - HisPrincess Next round on me - Elvensong collect beer from TwoShades.. lolol - HerPrince 
    Using the right to bear arms is a bad argument for pro-gun folks. It really is. The right to bear arms was based on a certain timeframe and the actions at the time. As a society, we are forced to adjust what the meaning of certain laws are. Sexual harassment, racism, etc. have all changed face as we have progressed. Let's look at the freedom of speech. Does that mean you can say whatever you want without any consequences? Does it? We have defamation law suits that come up if you use that freedom of speech in the wrong way. I dare you to make any threats about the President. It's not really a full freedom of speech. So that same argument should then apply to right to bear arms. We are forced to apply some "standard" to what the spirit of that doctrine means.

I just think that the pro-gun folks would gain alot more traction by not pointing at that one thing and saying see?? it says we can.. Just my 2 cents. It just has that feel of we can do it cause it says we can. When is the last time you won and argument cause your response was I did it cause I can? There are better reasons out there that I get on board with to own guns, use them...

Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Well I don't know about safer, cause their are crazies everywhere. If someone wants to hurt someone they're gonna grab the first sharp object they can find.
    It's just the world we live in. People are getting more selfish and honestly, mental illness is not being treated properly. (wow, that might be another discussion)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast