Forums

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: FnF Book Club

LeananSidhe is offline Like a fine Skylark.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,941 Times in 1,807 Posts
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    a head start and enjoy my friend. - Tgirl Glad you are feeling better! - Candi Happy 4th of July - Georgiagirl For someone's birthday... it's ice chocolate cream cake - SpecialK Hope you have a wonderful rest of the week! - Candi 
    For that midweek slump! - BeyondExcess Just so because posting with you is so much fun - Elvensong Some dessert as you are so sweet and caring :-) - Elvensong For going above and beyond the call of duty in helping me settle in at FNF. - guynextdoor Merry Christmas!!! - SpecialK 
    Happy Holidays, Beautiful.. - SpecialK ...just 'cause.. - SpecialK For all you do to help keep the site open. - SpecialK Lets do the Friday dance! - Candi Spreading the luck for today! - BeyondExcess 
    For always being my friend. - BeyondExcess Thank you for all you do here! - Candi i miss our coffee time - musicmer Merry Christmas, my friend! - SpecialK Merry Christmas! - Candi 

FnF Book Club

Hey, guys. I thought it might be fun to start a book club. I'd created the group a while back, but in Oct/Nov/Dec, with everything else going on and the holidays, it never much got off the ground.

No obligations, of course, but if you're interested, post here or join the group (thought by establishing the group we'd all be more centrally located to join in the discussion when ready, but you don't have to join the group to take part in the book discussion!). I figured with the summer vacation around the corner, we might have some time for reading (ah ha ha ha ha haaaaa! -- yeah, I feel better now ).

Haven't determined a book, so suggestions are welcome.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~Dr. Seuss

butterflylover is offline Flirty Friend
    Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Have a great weekend! - Candi 
    Quote Originally Posted by LeananSidhe View Post
    Hey, guys. I thought it might be fun to start a book club. I'd created the group a while back, but in Oct/Nov/Dec, with everything else going on and the holidays, it never much got off the ground.

No obligations, of course, but if you're interested, post here or join the group (thought by establishing the group we'd all be more centrally located to join in the discussion when ready, but you don't have to join the group to take part in the book discussion!). I figured with the summer vacation around the corner, we might have some time for reading (ah ha ha ha ha haaaaa! -- yeah, I feel better now ).

Haven't determined a book, so suggestions are welcome.
    I would love to join
    LeananSidhe likes this.

Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    a head start and enjoy my friend. - Tgirl Glad you are feeling better! - Candi Happy 4th of July - Georgiagirl For someone's birthday... it's ice chocolate cream cake - SpecialK Hope you have a wonderful rest of the week! - Candi 
    For that midweek slump! - BeyondExcess Just so because posting with you is so much fun - Elvensong Some dessert as you are so sweet and caring :-) - Elvensong For going above and beyond the call of duty in helping me settle in at FNF. - guynextdoor Merry Christmas!!! - SpecialK 
    Happy Holidays, Beautiful.. - SpecialK ...just 'cause.. - SpecialK For all you do to help keep the site open. - SpecialK Lets do the Friday dance! - Candi Spreading the luck for today! - BeyondExcess 
    For always being my friend. - BeyondExcess Thank you for all you do here! - Candi i miss our coffee time - musicmer Merry Christmas, my friend! - SpecialK Merry Christmas! - Candi 
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflylover View Post
    I would love to join
    That's wonderful, butterflylover -- it'll be great to have a book discussion! If you want to join the group, it's listed under the "Community" tab up top, under "Groups." You can take part in picking the book and chatting about it without joining the group, though. Either way is great!

Anything in particular you'd like to read?
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~Dr. Seuss

butterflylover is offline Flirty Friend
    Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Have a great weekend! - Candi 
    Quote Originally Posted by LeananSidhe View Post
    That's wonderful, butterflylover -- it'll be great to have a book discussion! If you want to join the group, it's listed under the "Community" tab up top, under "Groups." You can take part in picking the book and chatting about it without joining the group, though. Either way is great!

Anything in particular you'd like to read?
    ok,that's great,well,I mostly like fantasy,but I also like some romance and suspense.

Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflylover View Post
    ok,that's great,well,I mostly like fantasy,but I also like some romance and suspense.
    Me too! I'll do a little research into some different books available in those genres and post a poll; see which ones people would like to read!

Caveman is offline Making my world Brighter!
    Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Stop working so much and grab a beer - Georgiagirl Since I wasn't able to buy one for you in April; for your Thursday morning! - LeananSidhe Happy Father's Day - Georgiagirl Happy Father's Day - Georgiagirl Because you have a super big heart and I miss you around here - Georgiagirl 
    to keep the rain away today - Georgiagirl Merry Christmas - Georgiagirl Merry Christmas!! - SpecialK Happy Birthday Sweetie, I hope you have an awesome day! - Georgiagirl happy birthday - partyde 
    Happy New Year Darlin - Georgiagirl an afternoon snack and putting up with me...lol - Georgiagirl Thank you! - Georgiagirl Hope you are having a great weekend. - Georgiagirl Because you have the most caring heart that I've ever known. - Georgiagirl 
    Until we can test the sweetness of other things. - BeyondExcess Nice to see you the other day. - BeyondExcess Merry Christmas!!! - SpecialK For all you do to help keep the site open. - SpecialK Merry Christmas my friend! - Candi 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Caveman 
    I truly like historical fiction, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, ummmm well, shoot I like a lot .. so .. let's go for it ..
    Yesterday is but a dream, tomorrow only a vision. Today, well lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness, and every tomorrow a vision of hope.

Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    @[Only registered and activated users can see links. ], @[Only registered and activated users can see links. ], @[Only registered and activated users can see links. ], @[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] -- and certainly anyone else interested in discussing the chosen book at the start of July (maybe a little later depending on when we choose/get the book, etc.). Hope I haven't forgotten anyone.

I've added a few sci fi/fantasy books here, but please feel free to add some more or nix the ones I've put up; we can put up a poll and vote.

Choices so far (and listed in parentheses following the titles/authors are descriptions from amazon):

Piers Anthony, the Xanth series, first book is A Spell for Chameleon
    (Xanth was the enchanted land where magic ruled--where every citizen had a special spell only he could cast. That is, except for Bink of North Village. He was sure he possessed no magic, and knew that if he didn't find some soon, he would be exiled. According to the Good Magician Humpfrey, the charts said that Bink was as powerful as the King or even the Evil Magician Trent. Unfortunately, no one could determine its form. Meanwhile, Bink was in despair. If he didn't find his magic soon, he would be forced to leave....)

Sleeping in Flame, Jonathan Carroll
    (Walker Easterling is a retired actor turned successful screenwriter living in the Vienna of strong coffee, fascinating friends, and mysterious cafes. When he falls in love with Maris York, a beautiful artist who creates cities, his life becomes alive in fantastic and unsettling ways. As Walker's love for Maris grows, his life gets more and more bizarre-he discovers he can see things happening just before they happen, and at the same time feels an incredibly strong tug from his past-so a friend steers him to Venasque, an odd little man reputed to be a powerful shaman. Venasque helps Walker discover and unravel his many interconnected past lives, and it is soon clear that an unresolved conflict from these past lives has resurfaced, and now threatens to undo Walker and Maris's love.

At once lyrical, frightening, funny, and sexy, Sleeping in Flame is a spellbinding tale where reality and fantasy merge in astonishing convolutions of magic and suspense. It confirms that Jonathan Carroll is one of the very few novelists who-by constantly surprising us-give us an entirely new perspective on our world. It is no wonder that he is generally considered to be the most original and provocative novelist of his generation.)

American Gods, Neil Gaiman
    (American Gods is Neil Gaiman's best and most ambitious novel yet, a scary, strange, and hallucinogenic road-trip story wrapped around a deep examination of the American spirit. Gaiman tackles everything from the onslaught of the information age to the meaning of death, but he doesn't sacrifice the razor-sharp plotting and narrative style he's been delivering since his Sandman days.
    Shadow gets out of prison early when his wife is killed in a car crash. At a loss, he takes up with a mysterious character called Wednesday, who is much more than he appears. In fact, Wednesday is an old god, once known as Odin the All-father, who is roaming America rounding up his forgotten fellows in preparation for an epic battle against the upstart deities of the Internet, credit cards, television, and all that is wired. Shadow agrees to help Wednesday, and they whirl through a psycho-spiritual storm that becomes all too real in its manifestations. For instance, Shadow's dead wife Laura keeps showing up, and not just as a ghost--the difficulty of their continuing relationship is by turns grim and darkly funny, just like the rest of the book.

Armed only with some coin tricks and a sense of purpose, Shadow travels through, around, and underneath the visible surface of things, digging up all the powerful myths Americans brought with them in their journeys to this land as well as the ones that were already here. Shadow's road story is the heart of the novel, and it's here that Gaiman offers up the details that make this such a cinematic book--the distinctly American foods and diversions, the bizarre roadside attractions, the decrepit gods reduced to shell games and prostitution. "This is a bad land for Gods," says Shadow.)

Chuck4794 is offline Super Flirty Friend
    Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Wishing you a year full of contentment...Happy Birthday - strawberrywine Good Morning - Georgiagirl just cause - Tgirl share? - Tgirl Merry Christmas - Georgiagirl 
    Merry Christmas!! - SpecialK Happy New Year Darlin - Georgiagirl happy new year - Tgirl Happy New Year!! - Candi guess what's in it? - Tgirl 
    cause you love those games :) - Tgirl You can NOT wear your drawers to work anytime...lol - Georgiagirl For helping me count today...lol - Georgiagirl Roast some Hot Dogs by the fire...I'm jealous!  lol - Georgiagirl Hope you're having a good week - Candi 
    Shopping money! - Georgiagirl thanks for playing today, that was fun :) - Tgirl you said I owed you one, sorry I underestimated your talents. LOL - Tgirl Drinks on me tonight! - Georgiagirl this will help - Tgirl 
    Hey this sounds fun to me, I like just about anything so count me in.

Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    @[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]! Wonderful. I'll keep looking for some more selections; if something piques your interest, don't hesitate to add it here.

Glad you could join!!
    Chuck4794 likes this.

Caveman is offline Making my world Brighter!
    Thanks
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Stop working so much and grab a beer - Georgiagirl Since I wasn't able to buy one for you in April; for your Thursday morning! - LeananSidhe Happy Father's Day - Georgiagirl Happy Father's Day - Georgiagirl Because you have a super big heart and I miss you around here - Georgiagirl 
    to keep the rain away today - Georgiagirl Merry Christmas - Georgiagirl Merry Christmas!! - SpecialK Happy Birthday Sweetie, I hope you have an awesome day! - Georgiagirl happy birthday - partyde 
    Happy New Year Darlin - Georgiagirl an afternoon snack and putting up with me...lol - Georgiagirl Thank you! - Georgiagirl Hope you are having a great weekend. - Georgiagirl Because you have the most caring heart that I've ever known. - Georgiagirl 
    Until we can test the sweetness of other things. - BeyondExcess Nice to see you the other day. - BeyondExcess Merry Christmas!!! - SpecialK For all you do to help keep the site open. - SpecialK Merry Christmas my friend! - Candi 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Caveman 
    I'm always in to Xanth .. They are Punny ...

The others ... second one sounds pretty good. Have to think more about the last one ..
    @[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] .. thank you for all of your diligent work ...
    LeananSidhe likes this.
    Yesterday is but a dream, tomorrow only a vision. Today, well lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness, and every tomorrow a vision of hope.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast